do not want to become engorged at work. This is such an uncomfortable feeling and having that occur while at work can add unnecessary stress. Stress can affect your supply as well which makes pumping at work a difficult task so it is best to take it one day at a time. I learned it was important to relax and plan my work outfits carefully. A few breast pumping tips I can offer for pumping at work are the following:
1. Drink a lot of water – you want to stay well hydrated when trying to express breast milk. Dehydration can cause a drop in your supply.
2. Make sure to have snacks on hand – in addition to your regular meals, you should keep snacks at your desk/ workplace. It is very easy to get caught up in your work routine and deliverables. You may not always have a moment to step outside to eat something so it is important to leave snacks in your drawer or keep with your pump supplies.
3. Set reminders – When you have meetings all day or you get caught up on a project, you can easily forget to pump, unless you feel engorged, of course. I found it important to set a schedule and stick to the same times everyday. I put it in my office calendar to block out that time so others would see I am busy when trying to schedule a meeting. It also pops up on computer as a reminder that it is time to pump, keeping me going too long between my pumping sessions.
4. Relax – depending on the where you are pumping at work, it may be harder to do this for some. I am fortunate that my company renovated the offices and included a wellness room on each floor. I am able to pump in a private room, with a sink and a fridge, with a door that could be locked from the inside. The last thing you want is to be worried about someone walking in on you while you are pumping at work.
5. Wear comfortable clothes – Pumping at work means having to pull your top off or unbutton your blouse. When you only have a set amount of time to express your breast milk at work, the last thing you need is a complicated dress or top that takes time to take off. Wrap dresses such as the one I am wearing from Diane Von Fursternburg, make it easy to pump without feeling exposed at work. The cut and style of this dress makes it simpler for the suction to reach your breast. No one wants to be sitting in a room at work with their dress pulled up above their waist!
I hope these are helpful and thank you for reading,