Last month, I took a weekend cruise with my husband without the baby. It was the first time we both left her and I was worried about how we were going to handle it. She was in good hands,
she was with my aunt and my best friend so I wasn’t worried about that. I was worried I would miss her too much. Yes, we did miss her and my friend kept me abreast of how she was doing, but it was the best thing we could have done for ourselves.
With me having been in a toxic work environment, naturally, I took it home. I became unpleasant and my husband and I weren’t on the same wavelength after a while. After utilizing better communication about my work environment and finally leaving that job, things were much better and back to the way we were. This weekend trip was a great way for us to reenergize and reconnect without it mainly being about the baby. Before having our little munchkin, we told each other that we would always make our marriage a priority, this way, once we are happy, the kids are happy. We needed this alone time and it gave us the opportunity to just kick back, relax and talk to each other about us!
It is important for couples to get away without the kids and enjoy each other. You marriage is the backbone of the entire family and it’s important to keep it strong. Here are five reasons I believe it is important to travel without the kids:
- Sometimes you need a break from the hustle and bustle of taking care of kids. Relaxing allows you to recharge and be mentally in shape to get back to the daily grind of family life.
- Time away with your spouse allows you to enjoy each other. A lot of parents put so much energy into their kids that sometimes one spouse is neglected. This gives you both the opportunity to focus on one another and really communicate without every conversation being about the children.
- Vital for physical well being to take a break, rest and rejuvenate and reflect on what is working and not working in life.
- Learn to be self-full instead of thinking it is selfish. Your marriage is a priority and no one should ever feel guilty about putting it first. A happy home is the best environment for healthy and happy children.
- Vacations are fun and exciting, and being alone with your spouse shows each of your commitment to put your relationship first. It gives you the time to be present in the moment when its just the two of you.
So go ahead and book that vacation!
Thank you for reading,